The Department runs an engaging programme of events including trips and exchanges abroad, day visits, theatre visits and performances, film festivals, visiting speakers and an annual Modern Languages Week.
Form 3 to Upper 4th (Years 7 to 9)
All pupils study French in Form 3. In Lower 4th, pupils can choose 2 languages out of the 3 we offer: French, German and Spanish.
We concentrate on grammar, vocabulary and linguistic competence. Topics covered include: Personal information and family; school; hobbies; technology, and the international world. We also include the cultural element and cultural affairs wherever possible to enable students to get to know the people and countries connected to each language.
The five themes are:
- Identity and culture
- Local area, holiday and travel
- Future aspirations, study and work
- International and global dimension.
All themes and topics are studied in the context of both the students’ home country and that of countries and communities where the language is spoken. Skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing, including translation will be tested.
Students are assessed through 3 papers:
- Listening, Reading and Translation into English
- Written Translation into the language and response to a literary text/film
- Speaking -discussion of a theme and presentation & discussion on independent research project.
The topics for French are:
- Les changements dans la société française (Les changements dans les structures familiales et dans les attitudes envers le mariage, les couples et la famille)
- La culture politique et artistique dans les pays francophones
- L’immigration et la société multiculturelle française
- L’Occupation et la Résistance. (This theme is set in the context of France only, and covers political culture.)